Hot bevvies curled up under a blanket, festive dinners with friends, twinkling fairy lights, and gifts – carefully chosen, wrapped, and shared. The holidays are here.
To shape our Holiday Gift Guide, products are tried, tested and vetted by our team, then whittled down to a shortlist of ten top picks based on a number of factors, including quality and performance, as well as sustainability initiatives of the brand itself.
Enjoy our curated picks for your people this holiday with this gift guide.
Blume’s Superfood Lattes | Holiday Bundle
If happiness-in-a-cup is something your gift recipient could go for, look no further. Blume was featured as a Brand We Love earlier this year, and we’re hooked.
Blume is lattes, but better – delicious and creamy, but without syrups, refined sugars, and caffeine. This gift says I care about you AND your health.
Pick up their Holiday Bundle for $65 CAD ($75 separately) with three festive flavours:
- Nut Nog Blend: A dreamy twist on a holiday classic with vegan nut nog that’s infused with ashwagandha.
- Mint Cocoa Blend: A softly minty, maca-powered hot chocolate. This slightly sweet treat has only the good stuff; a fresh mint start, chocolatey-goodness finish, and maca to keep you smooth sailing for the rest of the day.
- Gingerbread Blend: A warming cookie, boosted with superfoods and served by the cup. Sweet and spicy, not naughty, just nice. Come in from the cold and cozy up with this antioxidant-rich gingerbread blend.
Blackstrap | Cold Weather Layering Essentials
If cold-weather activities are your jam, you’ve probably tried many long john/base layer type garments over the years – and been just as disappointed as we were. Until now.
BlackStrap is committed to product quality and sustainability with recycled packaging, water-based, non-toxic inks, and cut-and-sew facilities right in the USA, and their products are clearly designed by people who get out there and adventure.
Gift these essentials to someone special – or add them to your own holiday wish list. Here’s what we’re wearing:
- The Hood Balaclava: Skiers, snowboarders and snowmobilers have made this Hood their go-to balaclava since 2008 thanks to its ergonomic design, patented Exo-Hinge construction, seamless helmet compatibility, and 4-way stretch fabric that is both antimicrobial and moisture wicking. Performance, comfort, and protection from the elements, period. One size fits most adults, available in kids’ sizes too. $52 CAD
- Women’s Cloudchaser Hooded Top and Baselayer Leggings: Pair this laundry-friendly combo with your mid-layer and outwear to stay comfy, warm and dry in any conditions. Made with BlackStrap’s antimicrobial Versa fabric, these let you move unrestricted with a 4-way stretch. The top has an awesome contoured hood and vented armpits, while the leggings feature a midrise, slip-free waistband and flatlock seams. (The compression fit is so flattering we’ll just wear these apres ski, thank you very much!) $124 CAD each
- Snowbird Headband: This technical and fashionable headband is part of BlackStrap’s Waste-Zero initiative, featuring products made from their leftover fabric cuts. The wide band design is stretchy and super comfortable and even fits under a helmet. $28 CAD
Marnie & Michael | Leather Bags with a Purpose
For the organized, on-the-go, and/or studious on your list, we present a collection of stylish, functional, handcrafted artisan leather bags and accessories – that give back with every single purchase.
Founder Jennifer St. John grew up with a mentally ill parent; her Mom’s bipolar disorder was untreated and undiagnosed at a time when no one talked about mental health. She personally experienced the feelings of isolation and shame that surrounded mental health and was determined to change this.
The company is devoted to cultivating a supportive community, which includes donating 15% of all profits to mental health charities and initiatives. The goods are Canadian-made and distributed while maintaining a low waste inventory.
It was hard to choose just three, but here they are:
- Zipped pouch: Whatever you’re needing to have at your fingertips, this multifunctional pouch has you covered. It’s soft yet sturdy and durable. Toiletries, stationary, kids’ stuff, electronics, cables…we use it to house our collection of essential oils. $95 CAD
- Oversized tote bag: Whether a weekender bag, a large work bag or an oversized day-to-day item, this bag will fit the bill. Handcrafted with durable, thick, oil-tanned leather with a pronounced grain, it can carry everything and still look absolutely gorgeous and chic. $275 CAD
- Journal: Handmade and stamped with their stylish logo, this is a beautiful gift for anyone who enjoys journaling or drawing. Available in six timeless colours: Black, Brown, Camel, Blue, Red and Green. $50 CAD
QuietOn | Noise-Cancelling Earbuds
Noisy neighbours? Snoring partner? Traffic sounds? Annoyances of the past when you have QuietOn’s 3.1 noise-cancelling experience. These innovative earbuds feature microphone technology to seamlessly transition to quietude.
Remove from the case and pop these in, and they automatically switch over to active noise cancelling mode, reducing ambient sounds by generating opposite waveforms to nullify the low frequencies with zero electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation due to not featuring any transmitters, receivers, or connectivity options.
QuietOn 3.1 comes with four different-sized memory foam ear tips for the best fit, as well as a portable charging/carrying case for 28 hours of use with a single charge. We test-drove these on an airplane and found peace in half a minute flat. They are comfortable, even for side sleepers, and small enough to fit entirely inside the ear.
If YOU’RE the snoring partner, we highly recommend these as a gift! $289 USD
Hygge in a Box | Seasonal Subscription
Curated by hygge enthusiasts to inspire moments of hygge into our lives, these collections of premium products will bring warmth, light, nourishment, comfort, connection, joy, and ultimately hyggelig moments to those you love.
Boxes burst with hand-selected products that focus on Fair Trade, organic, natural, and those made with sustainability in mind. Themes and items change each season, so it’s always exciting to unwrap each box.
Sisters Jill and Lisa bring joy and passion to their business and have inspired more hygge in our own lives. (Read their tips on Embracing Hygge to Get Cozy This Winter and cuddle up).
November 15 is the deadline for the holiday box, but you can still gift a seasonal subscription or custom box to those near and far. From $75 CAD.
Manna Hydration | Double Wall Water Bottles
Plastic. An estimated 8 million tons of this waste finds its way into our oceans each year. From water bottles to straws, our need for convenience is no longer an excuse. Luckily, it’s easy to end to cycle.
Manna Hydration’s products are designed to replace the need for throwaway plastic bottles, cups, and straws and lead to less waste. BPA-free and ethically produced with fun designs, these make an excellent stocking stuffer or Secret Santa gift.
For those on-to-go, Manna recommended to us their Ascend and Saratoga bottles:
- Ascend features a unique rope handle and leak-proof wooden lid for a nautical-inspired look that’s functional for a hike while still looking chic. Its slim shape makes storing an absolute breeze for storing in your tote or backpack while travelling. $35 USD
- Saratoga is a hybrid of our Ranger Pro and Convoy bottles, combining the best of each for an excellent on-the-go option, especially perfect for long road trips. Both are made from our signature double-wall stainless steel to maintain your drinks’ temperatures for hours. from $30 USD
Keisha Blair | Holistic Wealth
Imagine a life where you are financially savvy and independent, living with purpose and generosity while inspiring others. Imagine facing life’s disruption with confidence, knowing how to regain your balance in times of uncertainty.
From financial stability and physical health to your emotional and spiritual connections with others, prosperity is more than just a number—it’s a way of living, and it’s yours for the taking.
By expanding on the teachings shared in the highly acclaimed first edition of her book and in her viral article, My Husband Died at Age 34—Here Are 40 Life Lessons I Learned from It, author Keisha Blair presents strategies curated for the challenges of today’s world for finding balance and success.
With practical tips and case studies from trailblazers, luminaries, and even readers who increased their income, overcame disruption and setbacks, and reinvented themselves using the original book as a guide, Holistic Wealth (Expanded and Updated): 36 Life Lessons to Help You Recover from Disruption, Find Your Life Purpose, and Achieve Financial Freedom is the gift that keeps on giving.
For a taste of this holiday gift guide pick, be sure to check out Keisha’s piece on Planning Your Dream Sabbatical in our last issue. $17 CAD
35 Thousand | Multitasking Skincare
Inspired by founder Misty Reich’s life as an executive on the road, this is multitasking skincare for people going places.
Over the course of her 23-year career, Misty clocked 2 million air miles, had her passport stamped in 57 countries, and knows all too well the joys and challenges of balancing travel, work and family life on the go. Throw in a few skin issues, and she set out to create her own high-performing, carry-on-friendly product range.
Through a clinical trial of long-haul flight attendants, 35 Thousand developed a powerful cocktail of plant-based active ingredients which forms the core of each product and are designed to address environmental skin stressors, reviving, restoring and protecting stressed-out skin.
Because if it works up there, it’ll work anywhere!
Top picks for this holiday gift guide:
- All-In Day Serum: This tinted, broad-spectrum mineral SPF 30 defends against sun, pollution and blue light, leaving skin with a flawless look. Their best-selling product. $50 USD
- All the Radiance Set: From long desk days to spontaneous weekends away, this skincare kit will keep you glowing morning, noon and night. Contains the All-In Day Serum + full-sizes of their Clever Cleansing Balm, Refresh & Revive Mist, and Really Radiant Cream plus comes with a free clear travel bag and bamboo washcloth. $200 USD
Shop 35thousand.com (US & UK) or oxygenboutique.com (from Canada)
Wrappily | Eco-Friendly Gift Wrap
There’s nothing that makes us feel less than jolly than seeing bags full of trash curb-side after the holidays. Sadly, glossy gift wrap is not recyclable in most areas.
So we were delighted to come across Wrappily for our holiday gift guide, with a welcome new take on gift wrapping paper for every occasion.
With the help of neighbourhood newspaper presses, they take fresh patterns and print them, double-sided, on 100% recyclable and compostable newsprint.
Wrappily is woman-owned and headquartered in Hawai’i; they are proud to support a vibrant small-business community of independent artists, illustrators, and textile designers who are pursuing the dream of building a career with their art.
The brilliant thing about flat wrap (as it’s called) is that it eliminates the unnecessary cardboard tube and excess packaging (their clear packaging is made of plant starch PLA that’s commercially compostable and certified biodegradable).
Plus – if we haven’t convinced you yet – flat wrap means you won’t have to designate a closet or buy some special container to keep gift wrap around the house.
One simple swap that WILL make a big difference. Wrap happy!
Backpacker’s Pantry | Free-Dried Meals
Whether you’re in the wild, at the cabin, or at sea, these gourmet camping food staples check all the boxes when it comes to freeze-dried meals and our holiday gift guide recommendations. Packable, storable, with a long shelf life and two servings per pouch, many are vegetarian, vegan or gluten-free.
Boulder-based Backpacker’s Pantry is committed to creating memorable food experiences as responsibly as possible and giving back through efforts such as 1% For The Planet.
They source quality freeze-dried and dehydrated ingredients which don’t interact and cook until you add hot water to the pouch for the very best taste and nutrition.
Buy alone or in bulk. We know some people even keep these at home in their power-goes-out stash. Our picks:
- Pad Thai: Inspired by traditional Pad Thai recipes, this plant-based best seller uses delicious rice noodles from Thailand blended with veggies in a spicy Sriracha lime sauce. Our team agreed it was surprisingly authentic! $9.99 USD
- Three Cheese Mac & Cheese: Super filling, this protein-packed meal mixes creamy cheeses with elbow pasta for the ultimate comfort food in the wild. $8.99 USD
- Blueberry Peach Crisp: Artisanal granola accompanies oats, blueberries, peaches and cinnamon for a delicious, portable dessert that makes you feel happy inside.$8.99 USD
Enter to win a surprise selection from our Holiday Gift Guide.
This contest is now closed. Subscribe to learn of future giveaways!