By Jan Kalnina
With almost 365 days of sunshine, Phoenix in Arizona is a must-see destination for a fun and memorable outdoor exploration. Outdoor enthusiasts consider Phoenix a paradise because of its hiking trails, mountains, and amazing landscape.
But enjoying the breathtaking beauty of Phoenix comes with responsibility. Whether exploring Phoenix alone or in a group, it is essential to exercise safety and precautionary measures. Given that the desert climate poses different risks, these insights will help you have a memorable and safe exploration.
How to prepare for a trip to Phoenix, Arizona?
Embarking on an outdoor adventure in Phoenix involves certain conditions because of its climate and diverse landscape. Below are the things you need to prepare to help you get ready.
- Make time to research Phoenix to familiarize yourself with the climate, culture, and geography. This will also help you identify iconic landmarks and key attractions.
- Decide when to visit, as summer months in Phoenix can get extremely hot and uncomfortable while winters can bring cold nights. Research weather forecasts so you can pack accordingly.
- Make a list of activities you intend to do in Phoenix and other locations in Arizona you want to explore. Knowing what landmarks you want to visit will ensure no places are missed, and manage your time. This will be crucial in packing the appropriate outdoor gear like good hiking boots, breathable clothing during summer, or layers of clothing during cold winter nights to help you have a comfortable, safe, and memorable Arizona adventure.
- Learn traffic and Arizona driving laws. Know road safety tips as well.
- Keep identifications, maps, hotel reservation confirmations, and other documents readily accessible.
- Once in Arizona, keep an emergency or first aid kit, especially if you are planning to go to remote areas. Also, be cautious of wildlife like scorpions, rattlesnakes, coyotes, and other desert animals.
- Wear a hat and sunglasses, and apply sunscreen before heading outdoors. And do not forget to stay hydrated.
- Respect the customs of indigenous communities and their sacred sites. Also, respect nature.
- Book your accommodation in advance, especially during peak season.
Why go for a car rental service?
Booking your car rental service in advance means you get to ensure the availability of your preferred vehicle. Having your own car while in Arizona is an ideal way to explore different areas in the state.
That’s because a rental car at Phoenix Airport, for instance, provides you immediate access to transportation upon arrival to quickly get to your booked accommodation without having to transfer from one transportation to another. Cheap car rental services allow you to explore beyond the usual tourist spots without relying on public transport, a different level of convenience that is worth the money.
How can you protect yourself from the Arizona heat?
Here are the essential tips to protect yourself from the scorching heat:
- Always carry a hydration bottle with you, particularly when outdoors. Replace electrolytes by drinking supplements.
- Wear light and breathable clothing to reduce heat retention.
- Apply sunscreen with high SPF to protect skin from the harmful UV rays and reapply as directed.
- Wear wide-brimmed hats to protect your face from the sun and sunglasses to shield your eyes from the sun.
- Try to schedule your outdoor activities during the colder hours of the day. If not, then take frequent breaks to cool down in shaded areas.
- Ensure that your accommodation and your rented car have adequate air conditioning to make your stay comfortable.
- Follow safety signs or advice from locals on how to be protected from the sun.
How best to get to your preferred area from the Phoenix airport?
Navigating from Phoenix Airport to your preferred destination is possible through these various transportation options:
- Valley Metro Light Rail
- Bus services
- Ridesharing like Uber and Lyft
- Hotel Shuttles
- Private Shuttles
- Car Rentals
What are the different transport options for outdoor lovers in Phoenix?
Depending on your preference, you can rely on the public rail system, metro bus services as well as ride-sharing, taxis, shuttle services, and biking.
For destinations within downtown Phoenix, public transportation options like bikes, taxis, and ride-sharing services are manageable. However, a car rental is the most convenient option for remote locations and off-the-beaten destinations. Having your own vehicle gives you the freedom to set your own schedule and do things at your convenience.
And with Phoenix’s diverse landscape, some areas might require a specific type of vehicle that bikes cannot tackle or public transport does not have access to. Lastly, don’t forget to bring your camera, smartphone, and chargers to document and preserve memories of your Phoenix getaway!